New car delivery checklist
Back to Prices, MSRP, Invoice, etc.
Based on "Delivery Checklist" [vwvortex]
Things to bring with you:
- One or more regular audio CD's and one or more MP3 CD's, for testing the CD player.
- Digital camera
Items to discuss with salesperson before delivery for prep by service department:
- Program alarm arming indicators as desired: horn & lights or just lights?
- Program automatic locks: auto-lock at 10 MPH or not?
- If you ask, the dealer might enable the auto window-open feature, where you can open the windows with the remote on unlocking. (I think that kind or pre-delivery (re)programming is not sanctioned by VW, because it takes non-zero time and effort. But I could be wrong.)
- No dealership sticker/enblem, if desired.
Items to check upon delivery:
- Outside car:
- Take pictures from all angles, from far back as well as close-up.
- Automatic locks programmed as agreed.
- Does car alarm work? How do you stop it?
- Alarm arming indicators work as desired: horn & lights or just lights?
- Perfect paint: no chips or scratches. And no graffiti in hidden places like on door jamb.
- Windshield & Windows clean & undamaged.
- Headlight & taillight lenses clear, undamaged, no condensation.
- Do key-in-door window control functions work? (All windows down/up with key in door?)
- In cabin:
- Any upholstery rips and tears and stains?
- Vinyl surfaces clean.
- No scratches on plastic trim.
- Steering wheel properly aligned.
- All lights work:
- Head lights(high beam/low beam)
- Fog lights
- Parking lights
- Brake lights
- Reverse backup lights
- Directional signals
- Interior vanity & map lights
- Glove box light
- Instrument panel lights:
- Window and door lock switches lit?
- Trip computer displays and switches.
- Audio, Sat Nav, etc.:
- Can the CD player load & play both regular audio CD's and MP3 CD's?
- If you have satellite radio, do you have the right service, Sirius or XM?
- If you have a navigation system, make sure that you have the DVD, load and check it to make sure the system recognizes it and it works. You should also have:
- Nav instruction booklet in the manual
- Nav quickstart guide
- Wipers work: on normal speeds and in interval mode. In interval mode, does thumbwheel vary the interval?
- Horn works.
- All windows go up & down fully.
- All window controls work.
- All door lock controls work.
- Moonroof, where present, opens and closes fully in slide and tilt modes.
- Moonroof's sunshade, where present, slides forward/back ok.
- Front seats adjust fully up/down, forward/backward, recline.
- Rear seats fold properly. Rear seatbelts all work.
- Seats are tight and rattle-free with no rocking.
- Floor mats are present and correct color or pattern? Snaps are all present and an acceptable color?
- Seat belts work properly.
- Seat heaters, where present, work.
- All buttons work?
- Odometer reading doesn't show excessive mileage; should not be more than 20-25 miles.
- Owners manual is present.
- Sound system head unit code is in owners manual.
- In engine bay and under car:
- Check tire pressure. What brand are the tires? Do they match the car's spec? (Summer vs. all-weather etc.)
- Shipping spacers removed from front springs:
- Check engine compartment for any obvious defects / damage / leaks.
- Proper fluid fill levels, especially oil! I've picked up a new car with the oil filler cap missing!