Revision as of 17:57, 11 December 2009 by Charlotte143 (→Headlights, fog lights, turn signals, brake light)
DRL removal, Euro light switch, etc.
- How to remove the headlight switch: select the setting furthest to the left, push in about 1/8", turn clockwise, then pull out. Disconnect connector.
- "Euroswitch Part Numbers" [vwvortex] and other info
|Part Number||Features||Made in|
|1K0 941 431 A REH||off / auto / side lights / headlights / front fog / rear fog||Spain|
|1K0 941 431 C REH||off / side lights / headlights / front fog / rear fog||Portugal|
|1K0 941 431 REH||off / auto / side lights / headlights / rear fog|
- How to disable DRL with VAG-COM. You do not need the Euro headlight switch.
- Behavior of lights with and without Euro headlight switch, with DRL disabled and fogs & highbeams enabled.
(Pics also saved here.)
- With the Euro switch, one will need to to disable the DRL's (via VAG-COM) if one wants to run the city lights without the main beams [vwvortex].
- Info on "auto" setting on Euro switch [vwvortex]:
"Car headlight function requires the Rear View Mirror with the light/rain sensor, along with some particular long code software. Putting in an Auto/Euro Switch will not harm the car, but not all of the features will work, such as Auto On Headlights when it gets dark."
- Where to get Euro headlight switch:
- "Trouble getting Euro switch to operate fully": problem w/ DRL light etc. w/ Euro headlight switch[vwvortex]
Headlights, fog lights, turn signals, brake light
- What R32 tail lights look like [vwvortex]: off, red running lights, amber turn signals, red fog light on left in left back-up light's position, clear back-up light on right.
R32 and Euro Golf tail lights are available from:
- "DIY - Custom R32-Style Taillights" [vwvortex]: spray tinting your tail lights.
- How to install smoked lens on mirror's turn signal (with pics), at vw.oempl.us
- Headlight washers work when the headlight is on (i.e. the headlight switch is in the on position, regardless of whether you have daytime running lights) and the front windshield washers are activated. If the headlight is off, the headlight washers only come on every third time the front windshield washers are activated.
Miscellaneous lighting things
- MkV Forum Lighting FAQ & DIY[vwvortex]
- Euro lighting from Hillsideimports.com[vwvortex]:
- Car-specific clear and colored protective films for headlights, fog lights, taillights, paint work, etc.
- Using LED's as license plate bulbs [vwvortex]
- PDF: "MKV Jetta DIY S6 type light construction": Excellent instructions on how to add LEDs (real LEDs, not strip of LEDs!) to the grill of a MkV Jetta. (The PDF is also saved here: File:Mk5-s6lights-diy.pdf.)
- "wipers - how do you get them in the UP position?"[vwvortex]
- "winter position on wipers"[vwvortex]
- Problem: wipers temporarily not working[vwvortex]
- Problem: rear wiper turning on by itself, need to turn it on and off to turn it off.
One resolution: dealer replaced rear wiper motor: has not encountered problem since.
Miscellaneous electrical things
- "VW connection to IPOD..."[vwvortex]
- "Trailer wiring without a signal converter"[vwvortex]
- Speedometer errors
- "Easter Egg" in Climatronic: how to get display to show digital "uncorrected" speed and RPM:
- "Easter Egg" secret display in radio:
- "Easter Egg": showing current speed digitally:
- Click the MFD "Up" or "Down" button until you get to the "Set warning speed" display. (It's in the same rotation as "MPG", "Miles to empty", "Distance travelled", etc.)
- Click "OK" until three dashes show.
- Click "OK": the warning speed displayed is your current speed. (It's just one reading of your speed right then; it's not gonna change continuously as you pseed up or slow down.)
- Grommet under driver's side dash, good for running power wires etc. from the cabin into the engine bay. [vwvortex]
- Adding Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) to an Audi A3 (plus info on doing the same to a MkV GTI). [vwvortex]
- Engine bay fuse box [vwvortex]