Body/Appearance - Exterior
Revision as of 18:19, 10 April 2010 by Aqn (added R32 rear bumper)
"Aerodynamics", grille, bumper
- Lots of pics of "tuner" cars w/ body kits [golfmkv.com]
- Pics of MkV Jetta with blackened grille bars
- "R32 Bumper @ TMTuning.com!!!!!!": R32 front bumper [vwvortex]
- R32 rear bumper w/ center exhausts. [vwvortex]
- Pics of VW Votex body kit [vwvortex] (also here).
- Part numbers for VW Votex body kit:
- Front valence: 1KM-071-609-U-9AX, "Skirt", $443.51
- Rear valence: 1K0-071-610-UB-9AX, "Skirt", $499.95
- Side skirts: 1KM-071-685-U-9AX, "Side Sill", $508.60
- Euro front valence from Hillsideimports.com [vwvortex]
- Euro front license plate holder from Hillsideimports.com [vwvortex]
- Removing the grille (the honeycomb piece with the "VW" and "GTI" enblems and the red stripe) [vwvortex]
Pics are also here.
And more grille removal.
Part number for the grille: 1K0 853 653B [vwvortex]
- Pics of United Gray 2006 MkV GTI with Votex body kit and Khartoum wheels
- ABT MkV GTI body kit [vwvortex]
- One way to make a badgeless grille [vwvortex]: with an extra grille and lots of Permatex Plastic Weld.
Doors, door locks
- How to remove outside mirrors' lens & replace with aspherical lens
Source for aspherical lens, clear or blue-tinted: http://vw.oempl.us/ ("Golf & Jetta V" > "Exterior")
- Body side moulding is attached with double sided tape, and has holes underneath. [vwvortex]
Miscellaneous body exterior
- Some good info on VW/Audi's "lift pads", to be used at the underbody lifting areas. These lift pads are probably designed to be used with a shop lift where all four corners are lifted at once, so each lift pad only has to support a percentage of the car's weight. There were reports of the underbody deforming when lifting the car at only one of these lift pads.
Where to get lift pads:
- The four underbody lift points used to transport the chassis on the production line [vwvortex]
Bigger & enhanced version:
- Eastwood's pinch seam jack adapter (if not found, try searching for "Floor Jack Adapter" on the Eastwood Web site):
- Carbon Fiber VW Emblems [vwvortex] (added 21:19, 11 April 2006 (PDT))
- Excellent article on swapping a whip antenna for a shark fin antenna, with lots of pics.
More info. [vwvortex]
- Great series of postings on working with fiberglass and carbon fiber, making hoods, fenders, parts etc.
- Very good article on applying X-Pel clear film (on a motorcycle, but probably is generally applicable).
- Clear film installation instructions, at htpp://clearmask.com/.
And a tip: take it slow, use a hair dryer to heat the film & make it more pliable, use firm tugs, and work it with the scraper [vwvortex].
- Lamin-X protective film:
- Info: where to buy, installation tips & experience, etc. [vwvortex]
- No problem peeling off two-year old film [vwvortex]
- Car-specific pre-cut film leaves some parts uncovered, and that the best route is to buy a sheet of it and cut them yourself."
- Lamin-X car-specific pre-cut film not fitting well/not fit at all:
- Google search of vwvortex.com for "Lamin-X"
- Smoke Lamin-X on side mirror's turn signal, white 2007 VW MkV GTI [vwvortex]
- Trailer hitches for MkV GTI:
- Can you pop the hatch with the remote (not just unlock it)? [vwvortex]
- Two-tone rear VW enblem [vwvortex], also: how to remove rear VW enblem.