Air management, airbox, etc.
- Flow of air [vwvortex]:
- Air box
- Air filter
- Mass airflow (MAF) sensor
- Diverter valve outlet
- Turbocharger's compressor
- Diverter valve's inlet: normally closed; when the throttle is closed on overrun, pressure builds up downstream of the turbo's compressor, which may cause turbocharger surge. The diverter valve prevents this by venting this excess pressure to the upstream side of the compressor.
- "Discharge pipe"
- Intercooler (IC)
- Intercooler pipe a.k.a. throttle body pipe (with Y into "noise pipe" a.k.a. "Engine Amplification" or "EA" pipe)
- Throttle body (TB)
- Intake manifold
- Exhaust manifold
- Turbocharger's impeller
- Catalytic converter ("cat")
- Pre-muffler (resonator)
NOTE: an aftermarket "downpipe" typically refers to the section of the exhaust from the turbocharger's housing exit flange (downstream/exit side of turbo's impeller), plus catalytic converter and flex joint, for instance, Techtonics' and Neuspeed's downpipes:
- "Where is the air filter box?"[vwvortex]
- Carbonio pic showing stock air filter.
Pic is also here:
- Carbonio pic showing Carbonio foam air filter.
Pic is also here:
- Carbonio intake performance info [vwvortex]: VAG-COM logging showing intake flow and temperature of stock airbox versus Carbonio airbox/filter.
(Graphs and data files are also saved here.)
- K&N filter fits Carbonio intake [vwvortex]
- Pic of MAF "turbulence screen", from "FSI interesting pics"[vwvortex]:
- GruppeM intake [vwvortex]
- Neuspeed P-Flo filter installed [vwvortex]
- Snow Performance water/methanol injection [vwvortex]
- Home-made heat shield for intake pipe [vwvortex], and measured temperatures of turbo, exhaust manifold and heat shield (readings taken after shutting engine down).
Here is a source for aluminized heat shield material.
- Info on intake manifold flap problem:
- Removing 2.0T engine cover
(Use Vaseline or liquid soap to lube rubber attachment points when putting engine cover back on.)
- Excellent video on how to remove 2.0 TFSI engine cover.
(A low-quality version of the vid is also saved here: .)
Pics from video
- Change FSI (2.0T) Air Filter [vwvortex]
Pics are also here:
- Installing Neuspeed intake system [vwvortex]
- PCV valve failure: what is the PCV valve, how it fails, how to fix it.
- VW's "new & improved" PCV valve, hose and gasket [vwvortex]: