- Info on the VW T40057 Oil Filter Housing drain tool and whether you really need it to change oil. [vwvortex]
- Oil specifications (from owner's manual, 2006 MkV GTI, page 42 of the "3.2 Tips and Advice" booklet):
5w40, meeting VW 502 00 standard.
For topping off, if 5w40 is not available, you can substitute 5w30 as long as it meets the VW 502 00 standard.
- Chart on VW Web site: "Engine oils with Volkswagen Oil Standard VW 502.00 approval available in North America" (also here: Oilchart.pdf)
- Part numbers for 2.5L and 2.0T oil filter, engine codes BPY (2006 U.S. MkV GTI 2.0T FSI), AXW, BLR, BLX and BLY:
|VW||06D 115 562|
|Mann||HU719 / 6x|
- Pic of oil filter housing, from under car from "FSI interesting pics" [vwvortex]:
- Amsoil oil suction pump ( part number G1206), to get oil sample via dipstick tube.
- Blackstone Labs, oil analysis service.
- Oil analysis result of a 3-month old 2006 MkV GTI with 2252 miles, showing abnormal presence of iron, copper, maganese, and silicon (from sand casting of parts). The oil analysis was done by Blackstone Labs; it took about 11 days from the day I mailed the oil sample to the day I received the analysis results (via email). You can also order an oil sampling pump from them:
An oil change on said GTI at 2680 miles showed lots of sparkly bits in the oil: